Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Major League Sadness

Three pretty key issues involving the MLS have saddened me this week. The first and pretty obvious one was the departure of Landon Donovan whose loan expired and he returned to the Galaxy. I completely understand Bruce Arena and the Galaxy’s perspective and wanting him to return. It is just blatantly clear that he has finally found the club for him and joining Everton and playing in the Premier League is the perfect match for him. After two unsuccessful spells in the Bundesliga, he has settled well and has proven himself to be a quality player. I would have a cheeky bet that he will be back in an Everton shirt one day. His comments when leaving:

"I'm 28 years old now and I've played over 100 times for my country, I've also played a lot of league games in different parts of the world. But I've never met a fan-base like this, either playing for them or as an away player. I was talking to my dad and I was saying that I wished he could have been here against Hull City, just to see the reception after the game, because it was something I've never experienced and I'm not sure I ever will again. Moments like that in a career, I'm not sure they come very often. Forget about football for a moment, this is a life experience I'll never forget."

With the labour dispute threatening the MLS season, I had a small hope that may see him extend his loan deal by a month, but it was not to be. He has warmed to us and vice versa. He just seems like a genuinely good guy, and it is sad to see him go.

What makes Arena and the Galaxy’s desire to get him back even more understandable now is the injury to Becks. I have to admit I feel really sorry for the guy. I’ve always had the utmost respect for him, even call it a man crush if you will. The guy is classy (when he is behaving off the pitch at least) and I’ve always had a soft spot for him. He has had plenty of ups and downs in his career, but I suspect this is one of the biggest setbacks that he has faced. Not the way his England career should have ended, and it is sad way for him to leave the England scene.

The final part of my Major League Sadness trilogy is about the league itself. As I mentioned, the reality of a strike delaying the season, or at worst resulting in a whole year without the MLS, could have absolutely disastrous consequences on football in North America. I actually think the player’s union is completely justified in acting as they are and the points they are fighting for are reasonable.

The fundamental issue for me is increasing the salary cap. Of course the players are thinking that they will receive higher salaries, but it will attract high quality players….something the MLS is lacking right now, and the only way they will really push on as an organisation. I can’t say I overly like the salary cap, but I understand the reasons behind it. It has to be raised though now, and if the MLS do not cede and compromise with this and some other issues that the union is fighting for, I fear that everybody will lose. I will be amazed and dismayed if it comes to a strike, but this stuff has to be ironed out, and ironed out fast. Otherwise, it could spell a sad end to one of the most promising leagues and football-playing nations in the world.

My next blog post will be cheerier, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment