Saturday, March 6, 2010

The little things

One of the most impressive aspects of Vancouver 2010 was just how damn friendly the people there were. In the streets, in the shops, restaurants, the volunteers....everybody was incredibly polite, warm and friendly. Heck, even the homeless guys were pleasant! There was no real trouble, very few if any sign of scallies, and it was probably the most positive part of the Olympics....one which London 2012 certainly took good note of.

I went to good old Tesco this morning. This one in particular is not located in the most affluent of areas, but it is always something I look forward to when I go home. Supermarkets in England are just far better than in most other European countries...I'm biased, but I'll defy anybody to tell me differently! Anyhow, I bought a few bits and bobs, paid for my stuff, and the young lad on the checkout, no more than 20 years-old, said 'Have a nice day mate' as he gave me my change. Now, if I was in Vancouver or anywhere else in North America, I wouldn't have blinked an eye. Being in the Tesco in Seacroft, Leeds, and hearing it, was something of a shock. A welcome shock though. Such a small thing to say and do, but an important one which costs nothing.

I'll never forget one of our first days in Lausanne. We had to go to the post office in St Francois for something, and Hannah said 'Salut' to the woman behind the counter. She replied 'Do I know you'? Han said no. 'So why do you use Salut and not Bonjour?' she said with the straighest of faces. I was speechless. Welcome to Switzerland!

There was a sign in one of the stores in Vancouver. It read 'The world needs more Canada'. I wouldn't go as far to say that, some people may get a little big-headed!! But customer service is definitely one thing the world can learn from them. It costs nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment