Thursday, March 1, 2012

London 2012

Call me miserable, pessimistic, grumpy…..Northern. The last few days have hit home to me that the Olympics in London this year may not be as great as people are imagining.

I am sat on a British Airways plane waiting to fly to London. Due to the fog in London, we are delayed two hours and they only knew this when we boarded the plane – not ideal. It is not just Easyjet that suffer delays – fog stops any airline, cheap or less cheap. I’ll give BA their due, they are providing drinks for people and the air hostesses have ipads with all our flight details on and are helping with rescheduling options for people missing connections. That’s the difference I guess.

Speaking of travel, my mum read a newspaper report claiming that a regular journey in London that takes one hour and a half, will take over three hours during the Olympics as they try to manage the flow of people. Awesome. I cannot wait for those tube journeys. Imagine going to see 9.6 seconds of the 100m final and travelling SEVEN hours there and back to watch it.

One of the biggest unions in the UK dished out a few threats this week about considering action during the Games. I witnessed the protests about the Games in Vancouver two years ago and I am sure that it has happened in other host countries before, but I cannot help but think there is an inevitability about some form of union action in the UK. The world is watching, we’re hosting the biggest sporting event in the world, and I just sense something like this is going to cause all kinds of unnecessary disruption.

Rewind to a couple of weeks ago and I am watching Derek Chisora slap Vitali Klitschko in a press conference, spit water on his brother before the fight, and then embark in one of the most ridiculous scraps post-fight with David Haye…..closing the battle with screams of ‘I’m going to kill you David’, and ‘I’m going to burn you David.’ Classy, very classy. Throw John Terry and Wayne Rooney and their antics in recent months in for good measure, and you have the cream of British sport disgracing themselves. They may not be participating in the Olympics, but it is not what I want to see when the spotlight will be on British athletes more than ever this year.

On the participation front, I vividly recall the struggles faced by Canadian athletes at the start of the Vancouver Games in dealing with the huge pressure on them with the whole country expecting. I imagine this is also the same for all host countries and their athletes – but let’s face it, if there is one thing British athletes are not good at, is dealing with pressure and expectation. A huge stereotype, but let’s see.

And there you have it. I warned you it was miserable, pessimistic and grumpy, and I didn’t even start scribbling about budgets. I hope I’m wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Well said grumpy Bobby! I hope to have friends competing in London so lets stay positive! Maybe you can charter a private Jet this year? Count me in! If I had the chance, I would also bitch slap Klitchko. Im sick of watching and laughing at his terrible style.
    NB, Toronto ON

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, you can't do Rio Carnival and the London Olympics in the space of a few months!! But if you can make it, let me know...i've got some boxing tickets with your name on them! Agreed re: Bitchko too!!

    ReplyDelete