Friday, July 11, 2014

The Final Countdown



Day 3 started early as we departed Varginha heading back to Sao Paulo. Another 300km in the book which was the last driving leg of the trip. 1200km driven in 48 hours after a lengthy flight was going some, but it was nice to reach SP and settle for a few days.

The Dutch and the Argie match was the exact opposite to the game the night before. Solid and strong defending, some fairly uninspired attacking play, and it all boiled down to a penalty shootout. One of the great things about football is some of the ironic moments that occur. Romero, the Argentine goalkeeper was brought to Europe by the Dutch manager Van Gaal when he was at AZ, and spent a lot of time with him focusing on how to save penalties. That certainly came back to haunt him.

I was sad for the Dutch, but happy for the Argentines. The fans were great and the atmosphere for much of the game was fantastic. They are sure to bring their A-game to Rio for the final. They were as close to English club fans as I can think of in terms of their creativity when it comes to creating songs. There were some crackers! I think it makes for a fascinating final, but one I fully expect the Germans to win. Even putting the semi against Brazil aside, I think they have far too much strength and ability in all units of the team to beat Argentina.

The atmosphere emphasised my desire to do a Boca x River match at La Bombonera sometime soon. It is one of those bucket list events which will have to be done at some point.

The football is officially over now for us as we passed on the final given the flights were crazy expensive to get out of Rio. Both me and my dad are too old for 4 flights just to get home at reasonable expense. Not to worry, less than a month until the season starts again!

Speaking of the new season, this is one of my favourites times of year. Transfer time where every club has some optimism that at some point, they will sign their very own Leo Messi. It will build to a crescendo until August 31st, and you’ll very likely be disappointed when you end up with your very own Kevin Kilbane. It keeps everybody occupied however until the season begins!

The last time I visited Brazil was 1999. The one thing I can recall was the food being pretty good – great meat, a lot of barbequed stuff, black beans, rice, veggies…..plenty of good wholesome tasty food. I have the same feeling from this trip. We’ve had some sensational fruit – the oranges blow my mind! Yesterday was Picanha day – a huge chunk of steak with rice and onion. I could have eaten two of them. Tonight is Feijoada time – a fabulous black bean dish, which I am seriously looking forward to.

I’ve been known to travel to one or two places in my time, and the food is not always to my liking. I recall struggling somewhat when I visited China last year. After 178 dumplings in 4 days, all I craved was a piece of toast! Typically I will eat anything. This is one place where I would not have an issue with the food if you told me my flight tomorrow was cancelled and I had to live here for the rest of my days. Essentially days 4 and 5 will consist of food, drink and wandering around Sao Paulo. Of course there has been a Caipirinha or two mixed in also, and there will be one or two more tonight. I’ve had some shocking ones in Europe but they certainly have the knack over here as you would expect.

We’re based in the financial district of Sao Paulo. It is a pleasant area, seems quite safe. A lot of people have asked me if it feels dangerous as so many hear from reports in the news. It is absolutely fine where we are, zero issues and generally a good vibe. I am sure there are some shady areas but which city doesn’t? No complaints here.

Tomorrow we fly home and we will miss the 3rd place match. Cannot say I am disappointed. Aside from a third place match in the Olympics where a Bronze medal is up for grabs, nobody cares about third or fourth. It is almost as worthless as a friendly, in fact, possibly even more so. The final however should be an intriguing one, and touch wood and flights being on time, I’ll be perched at a BBQ in Leeds tuning it for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment