Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Frustrating Arse

I consider myself to be a patient guy. I know those close to me will say that is not always true, and at times it isn't. But as far as football goes, I'll say with confidence that I am patient. I have to admit though that it's running low at the moment....not with Everton, but with Arsenal and Arsene Wenger.

I have the utmost respect for Wenger, and if I was a kid just starting to get into football, Arsenal would likely be close to the being favourites as a team I would follow. All the principles that Wenger and Arsenal apply and follow, I respect and appreciate...quite refreshing in today's football. Their development of players, scouting, training techniques, and refusal to spend over-inflated prices in the transfer market is highly commendable.

With all that said, they should be winning silverware and I have started questioning Wenger and some of his decisions over the last 6-9 months in particular. I could go back longer, but after all he has achieved, he deserves some leniency and credit, in my book anyway.

I was never a big fan of Adebayor, good player but I've never been a fan of his character. That said, watching the game against Chelsea on Sunday, they were crying out for a player like him or Drogba to give them some presence in attack. Wenger's refusal to replace Adebayor, and sticking with Bentdner, is a massive mistake and this has occurred so many times at Arsenal in recent seasons with a failure to replace the likes of Seaman, Vieira and Henry particularly well by refusing to splash the cash.

They're are fluent in attack, but are limited in terms of variation without a focal point in attack. That is not the biggest issue of their play, but it is one aspect which is not helping them. They look fragile when countered.....Chelsea mugged them, and even Everton did only a couple of weeks ago. There is a lack of balance there, that does leave them vulnerable when countered. Another weakness and something that has existed for a while now. Wenger stubbornly sticks to his principles, and it is costing them dearly.

I question Wenger, and I question the board. Are they content to stick with Wenger, his policies, and their policies, thus continuing to achieve a top four finish and aim for the cups? Would they contemplate changing Wenger and the direction of the club to give them a better chance of success? It is hard to say they are regressing as a team, but they are certainly being caught up by other clubs, and I think they will flirt with falling out of the top four in the coming seasons.

I'm frustrated as a neutral, I'd be steaming if I was a Gooner. They should be challenging for major honours, but they are not. Maybe it is time for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment